Wednesday 21 May 2014

How To Get A Job

Regardless of what every one on Jeremy Kyle says, there are ALWAYS jobs available. They might not be the best jobs in the world but I can guarantee you in every town or city there will be at least one job available to someone willing to do it. All there is is the matter of actually getting it.

First of all, you've got to get decent CV.



Above are examples of some CVs I have used previously for a range of jobs and work experience - feel free to use them as templates!

Don't think you have to have one universal CV - you can amend it dependant on what job you're applying for. For instance, I have three CVs. One that I use for anything creative or media based, one that I use for waitressing and bar jobs and another that I use for retail/selling.

It's not about lying, it's about telling your potential employer what you have done that suits this job. If you're applying for a job as a receptionist at a dentistry practice, they're going to be more interested in the admin work experience you did at school then the Saturday job you had as a babysitter.

I've always been told I'm bad at analogies, I think I've just realised why...


You've got to exude confidence
Take note from one of my favourite fictional television characters - Leonard.


The bottom line is, if you don't believe in yourself, how can you expect an employer too? Walk up into that interview like 'YEAH, I deserve this job, I want this job and I can do this job'. That's what like they to see.

Never doubt yourself.

Obviously, there are some limitations; don't apply for a job as a professor at a university if you've only got 5 GCSEs and then wonder why you didn't get a call back.

BUT, there are many jobs of all levels on the market if you look thoroughly.

You've got to be persistent
Don't get disheartened if you don't get a job, just keep trying.

If I apply for jobs, I'll apply to maybe 20-30 at a time, get a call back or an interview for around 5 and then get offered something like 2. I don't focus on the 28 jobs I didn't get, I rejoice at the fact five companies read my CV and thought I was worth talking to and even those two who liked me that much they offered me a job.

I know it's cliché, but if it doesn't happen, maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Just APPLY, APPLY, APPLY. There are very few unemployable people. Some of the world's worst people had great jobs. You just have to look at Nick Clegg.

You've got to know where to look 
One of the biggest troubles is actually getting started. How do you know where to find a job? Google is wicked but doesn't always bring the most helpful things up.

Well, here are a few sources to get you started:

  • Your local newspaper - either in the physical paper or online. I got my current job through an advertisement on the Leicester Mercury website, and it's amazing
  • Adverts in shop windows - walk around your town or city and make a little note
  • Store/Restaurant websites - know where you'd like a job? Companies usually advertise jobs on their own website, check the website for local vacancies
  • Agencies - there's usually agency offices in most cities, go in and see what they have to offer
  • Online job search engines - such as indeed.co.uk, reed.co.uk, totaljobs.com and jobsite.co.uk
  • Word of mouth - if you have little to no experience, it's good to talk to family and friends to see if they know anyone employing then they may be able to put a good word in for you

I've had numerous jobs in almost every sector; retail, hospitality, office work - and it's not like I'm amazingly qualified or really good at any of the above things. Just follow my four step plan and with a bit of luck, you'll land yourself a job.

Good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment