Monday 24 March 2014

Film Review G; Gravity (2013)


Rating: 

"A journey not only through space but through the mind."

Running Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
Rating: 12A
Release Date: 4 October, 2013
Genre: Drama, Thriller
Starring: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
Director: AlfonsCuarón
Writers: AlfonsCuarón

Plot: Two astronauts are left adrift in space after their space shuttle is destroyed.

Review: When I saw the trailer to this film, I thought it'd make a great film - if the film was only 15 minutes long. I had no idea how a film about someone being lost, floating in space could last for an entire hour and a half, especially when it's a serious film with no aliens or super powers or anything. Here is that trailer.



After watching it, I realise this is because the film is less about Stone's (Bullock) journey in space, but more about her emotional journey and the struggle to continue. The film focuses mainly on one person who has been cut off from contact with anyone else, so the pressure was really on Bullock as an actress, and I think she did really well. A tear was even brought to my eye at one point. I was really tired and midway through a nine hour flight though, so I wasn't in the best frame of mind.

One thing that is utterly amazing about the film is that (obviously), it wasn't filmed in space yet 99% of the film is shown in space. Honestly, it's revolutionary CGI, it looks like it is really in space. In every scene, it is not only totally believable, but also beautiful.

For me, the fantastic technicalities of the film like the acting and the CGI, couldn't make up for the somewhat uneventful story line and for that reason, this film gets three stars.

I feel like a judge on The Voice after writing that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment